URLs with underscores

Aaron VonderHaar gruen0aermel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 15:56:18 EDT 2005

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall the only _real_ user complain
(as opposed to theoretical ones) is the case of the user expecting
literal underscores in the word but unexpectedly getting emphasis.

The only hypothetical case that has been cited of users _wanting_
mid-word emphasis is "un_fucking_believable," which, if that word were
to become as popular as it is argued, would likely end up being
shortened to "unfuckingbelievable" by the average user, thus
circumventing the problem.

What I'm getting at is that it would be useful to see a much larger
set of real-world examples that require mid-word emphasis. Unless
such a list can be produced, I suggest that whatever new syntax is
decided on, it should give priority to the literal underscore case.

Then again, this comment is coming from a programmer, not a novelist
(but I suppose any novelist using markdown would also be familiar with
URLs having underscores).

--Aaron VonderHaar