URLs with underscores

Jonathan Barrett jonathan at relativesanity.com
Wed Jul 6 16:18:46 EDT 2005

Interestingly, whenever I've explained Markdown-like syntax to a
layperson, they don't understand why _this_ is italicised and not
underlined.

Maybe the real issue here is that _ is simply the wrong character to
use...

-J

On 6 Jul 2005, at 20:56, Aaron VonderHaar wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall the only _real_ user complain

> (as opposed to theoretical ones) is the case of the user expecting

> literal underscores in the word but unexpectedly getting emphasis.

> The only hypothetical case that has been cited of users _wanting_

> mid-word emphasis is "un_fucking_believable," which, if that word were

> to become as popular as it is argued, would likely end up being

> shortened to "unfuckingbelievable" by the average user, thus

> circumventing the problem.

> What I'm getting at is that it would be useful to see a much larger

> set of real-world examples that require mid-word emphasis. Unless

> such a list can be produced, I suggest that whatever new syntax is

> decided on, it should give priority to the literal underscore case.

> Then again, this comment is coming from a programmer, not a novelist

> (but I suppose any novelist using markdown would also be familiar with

> URLs having underscores).

> --Aaron VonderHaar

> On 06/07/05, John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> wrote:

>> Alastair Rankine <arsptr at optusnet.com.au> wrote on 07/06/05 at

>> 8:41 pm:

>>> John, I like your ideas but I have one of my own for you to

>>> ponder. What

>>> if we were to disable mid-word emphasis (ie pass underscores through

>>> unchanged) if any _other_ punctuation was encountered in the word?

>>> http://foo_bar_baz.com => http://foo_bar_baz.com

>>> foo_bar_baz.cpp => foo_bar_baz.cpp

>>> foo_bar_baz() => foo_bar_baz()

>>> path/foo_bar_baz => path/foo_bar_baz

>>> un_fucking_believable => un<em>fucking</em>believable

>>> _freeway_ => <em>freeway</em>

>>> _three_way => <em>three</em>way