URLs with underscores

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Wed Jul 6 19:39:58 EDT 2005

Jonathan Barrett <jonathan at relativesanity.com> wrote on 07/06/05 at 9:18 pm:

> Interestingly, whenever I've explained Markdown-like syntax to a

> layperson, they don't understand why _this_ is italicised and not

> underlined.

My explanation for that would be that underlining should never be
used for anything other than hyperlinks.

Early on during Markdown's development -- long before it was public
-- I considered using `_` as the link delimiter. Something like:

There's _a link_ [1] here.

[1]: http://example.com/

> Maybe the real issue here is that _ is simply the wrong character to

> use...

I personally almost never use `_` for emphasis, but I know many
others use it the other way, and almost never use `*`.