URLs with underscores

Waite, Paul paul.waite at tso.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 14:26:52 EDT 2005

Because Markdown is designed to make it easier to write HTML. So I think there's a presumption in the language design that it'll be converted into HTML. And it doesn't convert _this_ into <i>, it converts it into <em>, which can be italic, or bold, or 42pt purple, depending on the stylesheet.

So people's expectations about whether _this_ means 'italic' in e-mails don't necessarily determine the issue of what _this_ should mean in Markdown, as Markdown doesn't let you enter italics.

yours sincerely,
Paul Waite
Web Developer
TSO