Markdown not parsing correctly

Andy Gray online at globalcompassion.com
Fri Jul 8 04:11:55 EDT 2005

I've been searching Google and asking questions on forums with no success,
so I finally turned here for help. I have a blog powered by Pixelpost (see
the link below). Markdown (for PHP I assume) should be enabled by default,
and it seems to work just fine for other Pixelpost users, but it's not
working for me. Here are some examples of what happens when I try to use
Markdown.

1. I type *example* (hoping for bold text). When I post the entry the
astericks disappear but the text is not bold.

2. I type a ">" before a line hoping to get blocked text. In the actual
post, the ">" disappears but the text is not blocked.

3. I use the Markdown syntax for a link (copied and pasted directly from the
article explaining syntax). In the actual post the syntax all disappears
but the text is regular plain text with no link.

4. I hit the space bar twice and type "return" and nothing happens.

5. I try using an HTML break "</br>" tag. The tag disappears but there is
no line break.

In fact, no matter what I do, all the text is always compressed upwards with
no breaks.

I can't think of any reason why Markdown would not be working. I didn't
change any of the PHP files that came with Pixelpost, and all the files are
installed in the correct places. Could this be related to any of the
following:

- using a computer with Japanese Windows (English Windows converted to
Japanese)

- my web host not supporting Markdown (I use Westhost)

- some part of Perl being missing (I have Perl 5.6 or something like that
installed)

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on my problem.

Andy Gray
http://www.japanwindow.com <http://www.japanwindow.com/>