Adding additional output formats for Markdown?

Dave Pawson dave.pawson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 04:46:55 EDT 2005

On 23/07/05, Fletcher T. Penney <fletcher at alumni.duke.edu> wrote:

> Like many others, I have found markdown to be useful tool. I agree

> with the core principle of having the markup look like plain human

> readable text as much as possible. This is my main reason for

> wanting to stick with Markdown as opposed to other markup formats.

> However, I would like to use it for more than just web pages.

> There would continue to be a single Markdown syntax, but there could

> be multiple ways of expressing the output based on individual needs.

> Is there anyone else who things that such a utility would be useful?

> Does anyone have something similar already? (I hate reinventing the

> wheel, as noted above...) Any thoughts about how it should work?

Yes. I've got it working for simple block level elements; nested blocks
I'm struggling with. I haven't looked at inlines as yet.

The 'syntax' is defined in a simple external text file, and is used
by the parser.

Since generate XML (to the given syntax) as an output,
I can then transform to most formats at will, from the XML, using
XSLT.

I'm currently of the opinion that most people, for 80% of the time,
need far less than XHTML has to offer. Hence catching the bulk of
the markup is probably enough.

That's the basis on which I'm working.

http://www.dpawson.co.uk/java/noteparser.html

--