Adding additional output formats for Markdown?

Mark Smith mark at bbprojects.net
Sun Jul 24 05:05:07 EDT 2005

@ 20:09 on 23.7.05, Fletcher T. Penney wrote:

>Is there anyone else who things that such a utility would be useful?

Yes, ...but...

>Any thoughts about how it should work?

One or two, ...but...

I think this general point came up already, though maybe not here ?

The consensus was, IIRC, that one can/should just take Markdown's output
and use that to transform to the desired final output.

Other than (X)HTML and PDF, I output to LaTeX, ConTeXt (TeX and ContML)
and (less frequently) Publicon or DocBook. For the "non-.tex" formats,
it seems acceptable to go from Markdown's HTML output, rather than the
input. No ? For .tex output, I haven't seen anything that works *really*
well. (Adam Lindsay's OmniOutliner to ConTeXt converter is an exception,
but it uses ContML rather than TeX.)

I suppose that a perl/python/ruby filter for Markdown syntax -> .tex
that just "wrapped" the appropriate TeX commands around the individual
elements wouldn't be too much of a headache for a pro (it would
(over-)stretch me), but I wonder how useful this would be ? What do
folk's think ?

mark.