Adding additional output formats for Markdown?

Dave Pawson dave.pawson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 00:03:35 EDT 2005

On 25/07/05, Lou Quillio <public at quillio.com> wrote:

> Markdown's an input format that happens to include a transforming

> parser (to XHTML) as a useful proof of concept. That's all.

> Anybody's free to write alternative transformers that accept Classic

> Markdown as input, or a variant, or ...

> It's not the end, it's the beginning.

+1

Generalising, from one markup set (markdown) to alternatives,
and generalising, from XHTML to alternatives, could be
the next move forward.

I'm sure it's possible, equally sure there will be limitations.
I don't expect to get as much from 'simple' markup as I do from
a full set such as Latex or XML, I just want the help of such tools
for the 80%, which probably makes up 90% of the writing I do.

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.