Definition lists

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Jul 26 13:09:47 EDT 2005

Since we are talking about definition lists, there is an issue I'm not
sure how to solve about the current syntax. In the syntax description,
I give an example of lazy-indentation:

Apple
: Pomaceous fruit of plants of the genus Malus in
the family Rosaceae.
Orange
: The fruit of an evergreen tree of the genus Citrus.

Then I say that definition lists can contain multiple definitions for
one term and give that example:

Apple
: Pomaceous fruit of plants of the genus Malus in
the family Rosaceae.
: An american computer company.
Orange
: The fruit of an evergreen tree of the genus Citrus.

But what happens if you mix the two? Let's see...

Apple
: Pomaceous fruit of plants of the genus Malus in
the family Rosaceae.
: An american computer company.
Orange
: The fruit of an evergreen tree of the genus Citrus.

This isn't right at all. PHP Markdown Extra 1.0b2 sees three terms, and
we get this:

<dl>
<dt>Apple</dt>
<dd>Pomaceous fruit of plants of the genus Malus in</dd>

<dt>the family Rosaceae.</dt>
<dd>An american computer company.</dd>

<dt>Orange</dt>
<dd>The fruit of an evergreen tree of the genus Citrus.</dd>
</dl>

Now, I see two ways to solve that: either we make indentation
mandatory, or we say definition terms must be preceded by an empty
line. I think the first goes against current Markdown behaviours, but I
also happen to like the compact form which is nice for lists with many
short definitions.

Any ideas?

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com