Definition lists

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Tue Jul 26 12:47:13 EDT 2005

Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote on 07/26/05 at 10:48 am:

> Well, you are right, this isn't a definition list according to my spec:

> Bozo the Clown

> :a clown often known for his humorous antics

> and magical ability to be in multiple places at once

> :an extremely silly way of doing things

> But this should work (at least one space after the colon is needed):

> Bozo the Clown

> : a clown often known for his humorous antics

> and magical ability to be in multiple places at once

> : an extremely silly way of doing things

Oh, I see, it's the space *after* the colon that Aaron wants. (I
thought he was talking about the leading spaces before the colon.)

Hmm. I can sort of see Aaron's point that the colon should be allow
to bump right up against the beginning of the <dd>, but that doesn't
match up with the rules for ul and ol lists.

I tend to think the rules for "list item markers" ought to be
parallel, and the space after the colon should be mandatory.