Image syntax

Angie Ahl alists at vertebrate.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 19:17:34 EDT 2005

2 things I'd like to ask.

1. Should markdown really do images at all? Isn't markdown about
marking up text. At least that's how I currently use it. Images are
done by our CMS.

2. Couldn't image dimensions be got by something like Image::Info or
ImageMagick, that's what we do.

The syntax we use is:

[image="1" link="5"] where the image and the link no is got from a link
manager and image manager.

This has many advantages, such as links in the link manager can be
checked for 404's etc and Images can have different versions created by
ImageMagick. Our system goes and gets alt text, captions and dimensions
from the image manager.

Markdown could get dimensions from images that are available locally
and readable by the script. If an image isn't available locally that
would be harder (you'd have to copy the image to the server to get the
info I reckon) does anyone here actually call images from an external
server, and are you doing so legitimately as in not nicking someone
else's bandwidth.

Thoughts?

Angie