Any news re tables and Markdown?

Brian Forte bforte at adelaide.on.net
Tue Mar 8 09:01:29 EST 2005

Gentlefolk,

I'm in the midst of (finally) overhauling both my web-site and my
publishing goals and have settled on Movable Type as my
publishing/site-management tool and Markdown as the ur-text format.

Markdown's primary attraction, for me at least, is the attention John
has given to making 'Markdown-formatted document[s]... publishable
as-is, as plain text.'

Taking a whole stack of articles and essays (mostly marked-up in HTML
3.2 but also plain text, Word files, AppleWorks files, even MacWrite
Pro and WordPerfect files) and turning them into structured text
files has turned me into a real fan of Markdown, not just as a
writer's tool but as a storage format.

I love that the ur-text copies of my work are human readable without
needing transformation by an intermediate process while still
containing meta-data enough to be auto-transformed into print-worthy
(or laser-print-worthy, at least) copy.

Going through my extant material, however, I've been taken aback by
how often I use tables. And not for HTML 3.2-style layout, but for
presenting tabulated information.

Leaving all my table-specific HTML markup in the other-wise
Marked-down (to neologise) material works a treat but it does
undercut the goal of such files being 'publishable as-is, as plain
text.'

In late-October last year there was a short thread regarding tables
and Markdown, in which John wrote:

>I do think some sort of table support could fit in very well with
>Markdown's existing syntax and style, and I think it could be
>useful. The problem is that HTML tables can be extraordinarily
>complicated; the challenge will be do devise a syntax for Markdown
>that remains as simple as possible but still useful for most
>purposes.

Without discounting the challenge inherent in the 2nd sentence quoted
above, I was wondering if there might be any news to report on this
front?

TIA.

Regards,

Brian Forte.
--
Brian Forte, <mailto:bforte at betweenborders.com>
Writer, editor, scripter, dangerous mind.