underscores in urls

david scotson david.scotson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:49:16 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:16:45 -0500, Lou Quillio <public at quillio.com> wrote:

> This good advice notwithstanding, MD shouldn't be reaching into
> attribute values, far less trying to mark them up.

I don't think it is. The emphasis is being added to text version of
the URL within the `a` tags, not within the `href` attribute. The
exact same effect would be seen if Markdown processed the URL as
simple text.

So if you mentioned the URL
http://www.asmp.org/membersarea/newswatch01_18_05.php in your text,
even as simple unlinked text, it will get mangled unless escaped, as
would any other random string that accidentally triggers the Markdown
syntax.

regards,

dave