Emphasis with `_`

David Herren david at idiomatrix.com
Tue May 31 06:09:26 EDT 2005

Wordpress 1.5.1 (I haven't yet updated to 1.5.1.x) and the version of
Markdown that ships with WP1.5.1. My example wasn't clear. Try this
in a post (I haven't tested in comments):

[http://www.domain.com/this_file_name.html](http://www.domain.com/
this_file_name.html)

The word "file" will appear in italics without the display of the
underscores.

Now _I_ know that I could do this:

<http://www.domain.com/this_file_name.html>

but not all of my users (a high school web site) know this. It was
all I could do to train them in the first syntax...

On May 30, 2005, at 11:41 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:

>> A problem I just encountered with underscores and URLs has to do with
>> any underscores in an url like this:
>>
>> here is a [link](http://www.domain.com/my_web_file.html)
>>
>> markdown makes the 'web' italic and eliminates the underscores.
>>

> The bug is probably somewhere between PHP Markdown and WordPress.
> Could you be a little more precise as to where and when it happens?
> Is it on the whole site?

/david

--
david herren - shoreham, vt us na terra solsys orionarm

Men and governments must act to the best of their ability.  -John
Stuart Mill
(I guess that explains the mess Shrub has made of the US)
http://www.liberaloasis.com/bushin41point2.htm