Smarty Pants: More Unicode Characters

Alastair arsptr at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 5 19:46:10 EST 2005

On 06/11/2005, at 7:46 AM, Christoph Freitag wrote:

> even if this is not new at all I would nevertheless like to put

> forward my list of unicode character substitutions that I would

> like to see implemented in a future version of Smarty Pants:

I, for one, support our new unicode substitution overlords.

However it should be noted that some of the unicode substitutes do
not have glyphs in the default Windows font set, and/or may not be
viewable in IE due to the extremely broken way that it selects glyphs
for display.

(Described in more detail, with workarounds, here: <http://girtby.net/
archives/2005/10/07/internet-explorer-makes-me/> )

Depending on the target audience, not all substitutions will be safe.
In these situations it may be preferable to display the "raw"
SmartyPants input characters instead of the unicode substitutes.

What may be needed is a set of profiles, each one describing the set
of unicode substitutions that are safe for the target audience, (eg
Windows/IE, Windows/Firefox, etc) and allow a configurable selection
of profile.