Discussion related to Markdown.

Gee Starr heygee at geedev.com
Fri Oct 28 12:33:26 EDT 2005

>>> It is evident that the special rule set to disregard some

>>> internal underscores is necessary. The simple underscore-emphasis

>>> rule clearly violates the maxime that syntax should be designed

>>>so that people don?€?t trigger it accidentally. Even you got snared

>>> by it.

>> Not for the first time, either. Thanks for pointing it out.

> I propose a new design principle:

> If it snags John Gruber, it's got to go.

FWIW: This is by a long shot the most frequent complaint I encounter from
users on several MarkDown implementations (one discussion board, two
min-CMSs). It is particularly confusing to beginners or casual web users
who are proud to have even learned how to copy a URL out of a location
bar. :-)

Meanwhile, to date there has not been a single instance on any of the
implementations of a user wanting to add emphasis *within* a word.

--
//. geestarr of geedev dot com