Discussion related to Markdown.

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Fri Oct 28 13:21:52 EDT 2005

"Gee Starr" writes:

> >> Not for the first time, either. Thanks for pointing it out.

> > I propose a new design principle:

> > If it snags John Gruber, it's got to go.

> FWIW: This is by a long shot the most frequent complaint I encounter from

> users on several MarkDown implementations (one discussion board, two

> min-CMSs). It is particularly confusing to beginners or casual web users

> who are proud to have even learned how to copy a URL out of a location

> bar. :-)

+1! I'm on a private forum which introduced Markdown as an alternative
markup format recently, and I'd say a good 95% of the swearing-at-Markdown
is all down to this single feature. *

In my opinion, emphasis inside a word is very rare, and can be taken
care of with some raw HTML: "emph<em>a</em>sis"

(I'd be happy to code up a patch, if that'd help, btw.)

(*: the other 5% is people forgetting if one should use [foo](bar) or
(foo)[bar] to make a link. ;)

- --j.
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Exmh CVS