The Status of Markdown

Lst Recv listrecv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 14:50:19 EDT 2005

I've been looking for a system to allow me to create documents,
separating content, structure, and formatting, and allow me to go from
source to PDF and HTML at the command line.

I'd like to use Markdown for the raw text. But I'm a bit confused as to:

* How to do formatting and styling for PDF output. With HTML, I can
just add a simple style sheet. But if I'd like PDF output, I usually
want more than that. I think another tool is needed - but I'm not
sure what or how to do it. I'd like to keep the content in Markdown,
and just style it up separately. Any ideas? Or is this beyond the
capabilities of Markdown?

* How to stucture the Markdown. Beyond headings, I'd like to
semanticaly annotate different parts. (This also helps with
formatting, as above.) Should I just create my own tags (eg

I think Markdown can be the basis of a really powerful toolchain for
document work. Any help is appreciated.

PS Please CC me on all responses, if you don't mind.