The Status of Markdown

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Fri Oct 28 15:14:27 EDT 2005

* Lst Recv <listrecv at gmail.com> [2005-10-28 20:55]:

> * How to do formatting and styling for PDF output. With HTML,

> I can just add a simple style sheet. But if I'd like PDF

> output, I usually want more than that. I think another tool is

> needed - but I'm not sure what or how to do it. I'd like to

> keep the content in Markdown, and just style it up separately.

> Any ideas? Or is this beyond the capabilities of Markdown?

Use [html2fo] on the Markdown output, then pipe that into [fop].
At least that’s the first thing I’d try. Somewhere in there you
should be able to do any transformation you need to style the
output to your tastes.

[html2fo]: http://html2fo.sourceforge.net/
[fop]: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/

> * How to stucture the Markdown. Beyond headings, I'd like to

> semanticaly annotate different parts. (This also helps with

> formatting, as above.) Should I just create my own tags (eg

How’d you do it in HTML? You’d say `<div class="reminder">` or
`<span class="reminder">`, no? So just do the same in Markdown.

Regards,