The Status of Markdown

Johannes Grosse jgrosse at mppmu.mpg.de
Fri Oct 28 15:44:25 EDT 2005

> I've been looking for a system to allow me to create documents,

> separating content, structure, and formatting, and allow me to go from

> source to PDF and HTML at the command line.

To me this sounds like you want to use SGML or XML.
Also do have a look at DocBook.
(But I've never used any of them, so do not expect me to elaborate.
As always, Google is your friend. ;)

Actually, I think the appropriate approach depends a lot on which quality
of output you need for your PDFs. If your want high-quality PDFs while you
can accept degraded HTML, it is possible to directly use LaTeX, of course.

However, if you want a true separation of the logical structure, you will
probably want to use SGML/DocBook. There should be plethora of conversion
tools both to LaTeX (for professional looking PDFs) and to HTML.

btw: IMHO, Markdown is not a system that separates content, structure, and
formatting, but a system which *integrates* these -- sort of an ASCII
WYSIWYG.

> * How to stucture the Markdown. Beyond headings, I'd like to

> semanticaly annotate different parts. (This also helps with

> formatting, as above.) Should I just create my own tags (eg

As far as my (poor) understanding of Markdown's design goals
goes, I do not believe that this is what Markdown is intended for.
Markdown is physical markup not logical.
Also, the Markdown community is (for good reasons) quite
hesitant to incorporate new features/tags that blow up the
design. In other words, you are free to add your own tags, but
then it is probably not considered Markdown anymore.

Hope that helped
Jo -- formerly known as J.G. :(