The Status of Markdown

Fletcher T. Penney fletcher at alumni.duke.edu
Sat Oct 29 08:56:30 EDT 2005

It looks like you chose the same format for metadata as I did when I
wrote MultiMarkdown. I'm not sure how you handle it, but
MultiMarkdown uses the metadata to create the title for the XHTML
document (if creating a "complete" XHTML document (body, header, etc)
and not just a snippet of XHTML to be included in a larger document).

Then, the metadata is used by my XSLT scripts to populate the title,
author, date, keywords, etc in my LaTeX documents, so that
information is placed in the appropriate places in my pdf files.

If enough people are using this idea, it might be nice to standardize
some of the keys - for instance, I use Title, Date, Author, Keywords,
Copyright for the obvious. I use Format to specify "complete" if I
want to generate the full XHTML and not just a snippet. I use
HeaderLevel if I want to increase the top level header a certain
amount (start with <h2> rather than <h1> for instance - this comes
about because I use OmniOutliner to write my documents, so the the
header code ( `#`) is generated for me)

Is anyone else out there doing something like this? Is there enough
support for it to petition it's inclusion in the "real" Markdown, or
should it remain a custom only feature?

Fletcher

http://fletcher.freeshell.org/wiki/MultiMarkdown