A reminder of the original design goal of Markdown - my personal thoughts

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Mon Sep 5 14:20:58 EDT 2005

Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote on 9/5/05 at 1:36 PM:

> Now, I also think you have a good point: there is no reason to allow

> this syntax everywhere if it is not needed. While I think the id

> attribute is pretty necessary for headers, I'm less sure about other

> attributes and other elements. Currently, I see these as "important":

> * Cite attribute for blockqutoes

> * Image width and height (maybe)

> * Class attribute (do we need this absolutely everywhere?)

I think we will have to limit the scopes where `{...}` attributes can be
applied. For example, it might be nice to say that we should support
them for paragraphs. So you could write:

This is a paragraph. {.foo}

and it would be turned into:

Or list items:

* This is a list item. {.foo}

But then what about this:

* First item

* Second item.

Second paragraph. {.foo}

What does the `{.foo}` apply to? The paragraph? Or to the entire second
item in the list?

I'm not sure this complexity is worthwhile.