A reminder of the original design goal of Markdown - my personal thoughts

Andy Fragen lists at thefragens.com
Mon Sep 5 14:51:52 EDT 2005

Just to make things ever more unclear.

I think, personally, that much of the desire for the ability to add
class or id elements within the MD syntax stems from the process whereby
MD doesn't process anything inside an HTML block.

What if MD was modified to process items inside of a <div>...</div> or a

This way the MD purists wouldn't have to see more complex looking MD
code and those who wish to assign div ids or classes to markup would be
able to do so.

Eg.

* item 1
* item 2

Would expand to:

<ul>
<li>item 1</li>
<li>item 2</li>
</ul>

The simplest requirement would be that the opening and closing div
elements would be on their own lines, ie. followed by a return.

Span is more difficult. But you get the idea.

Thoughts?

--
Andy Fragen