A reminder of the original design goal of Markdown - my personal thoughts

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Sep 6 00:29:46 EDT 2005

* John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> [2005-09-06 06:15]:

> It's a question of how an author would know what to link to.

Ah, of course. I misunderstood the issue. I suppose in that case,
the old proposition that header text automatically becomes a link
target would raise from the grave:

... such as [the • character][Option-8 for •] ...

And of course that has all the issues discussed elsewhere.

[As a sidenote, it’s interesting that Mac uses Option-8 for this,
which I personally picked the “**” digraph for in Vim. I guess
some choices are just intuitive and natural.]

Regards,