PHP 5 port of Markdown, plugin-based

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Aug 15 17:40:43 EDT 2006

Le 15 août 2006 à 11:21, Paul M Jones a écrit :

> First of all, thanks to John Gruber for the fantastic Markdown

> syntax and parse/render system. Also, thanks to Michel Fortin for

> his PHP 4 version of Markdown.

I find your announcement a little misleading. You make it sounds like
PHP Markdown doesn't work with PHP 5. Just to make things clear, this
isn't the case: PHP Markdown works equally well on PHP 4 and PHP 5;
it was built with both in mind and is tested on both major versions
of PHP regularly.

I'd rather describe what you did this way:

* you took PHP Markdown's internal transformations and made tiny,
plugable modules out of each of then, then created a full parser
for the Solar framework using these modules;
* you made the code E_STRICT-compilant within PHP 5;
* you arranged the code and the comments to fit PEAR coding standards.

This is clearly impressive, but I wouldn't call this a port.

> I have taken some liberties with this implementation, such as using

> delimited integer markers instead of MD5 hashes, and changing some

> of the rule names (e.g., from "Anchors" to "Links" in one case, and

> from "ItalicsAndBold" to "EmStrong" in another).

I've always wondered why John chose these function names. And going
away from hashes seems like a good idea too.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/