Doubt about standard syntax

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Sat Dec 30 03:18:29 EST 2006

* Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> [2006-12-29 21:05]:

> while PHP Markdown use John's Perl implementation as a

> reference, that doesn't necessarily mean that's the right thing

> to do. But until that changes, I'll probably follow what is

> done in Perl for the sake of compatibility.

The problem is that Markdown is quite underspecified in a range
of corner cases. Some aspects are only defined by the behaviour
of Markdown.pl, eg. blank lines being optional around blockquotes
and headings in some circumstances. I see this as a consequence
of the fact that John chose to implement it as a series of search
and replace operations; a proper parser would have necessitated a
largely rigorous grammar.

Regards,