Benchmarks with TextMate's manual

John Fraser john at attacklab.net
Tue Aug 28 13:43:35 EDT 2007

On 8/28/07, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:

> With "unhash" fixed now (using a regular expression!) and with some

> other speed improvements, I can announce that the next version of PHP

> Markdown will parse the one-document TextMate manual in about 1.5

> seconds. This is now 0.5 second faster than parsing each of the

> documents separately.

That's great news! I think your numbers show that my claim that
Markdown.pl can be made "five to ten times faster with a few hours of
work" is actually pretty conservative.

For comparison, I'd be interested to hear how long Markdown.pl 1.0.2b8
takes to process the fixed TextMate manual on your computer.

John Fraser