Make --html4tags the default?

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Thu May 3 03:37:02 EDT 2007

Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote on 5/2/07 at 11:32 PM:

> I wouldn't change the default for the reasons John has

> enumerated. But I wouldn't remove the configuration option so

> easily either so people can still choose the HTML 4 syntax if

> they like. HTML 5 accepts both syntaxes as conformant in the

> current draft, a good middle ground in my opinion.

Agreed all around.

I should say that while I thought about getting rid of the HTML4
option, I didn't really consider it too strongly. I do think
that the changes coming with HTML5 make it even less necessary
than before, but if you really want to produce valid HTML 4.01,
Markdown shouldn't stop you.