forking Markdown.pl?

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Fri Feb 29 06:35:41 EST 2008

On 29 Feb 2008, at 05:17, Michel Fortin wrote:

>> ... And if Markdown.pm keeps evolving (which it should), does

>> this mean that we would now be on the hook for diffing Markdown.pm

>> code daily to find out what new features has become official?

> That's how I've been keeping in sync with Markdown.pl while it was

> updated (diffing each release). This is practical only when the

> code is kept pretty similar, as in PHP Markdown vs. Markdown.pl.

I don't see that our community & spec being broken is a good reason
for the reference implementation to not fix bugs.. However I do
appreciate the pragmatism of what you're saying - I myself have done
quite a lot of diffing in-between markdowns ;)

> Hum, while it's difficult to spec Markdown because its author

> doesn't seem so much interested, I think creating a spec for

> Markdown Extra is possible. I could host it on my website,

> alongside PHP Markdown Extra, and I could change PHP Markdown Extra

> to fit that spec. It'll take some time to write though, and I'm not

> sure in what form the grammar should be expressed, but I suppose it

> could be done.

I think that it *should* be done. If a community effort to write a
spec / standardise emerges then I'm more than happy to join / make my
code comply.

> I'm maintaining MDTest for that. If anyone wants a new test case to

> be added to MDTest, I'll gladly accept it. If anyone wants to

> dispute one of MDTest's expected result, I'm open to discussion,

> preferably on this list so that everybody can take part.

> Although it's lacking its proper web page, MDTest and its download

> location have been previously announced on this list. Here are a

> few interesting links about MDTest:

> - Latest release announcement:

> <http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/markdown-discuss/2007-

> September/000815.html>

> - Download link for latest release:

> <http://michelf.com/docs/projets/mdtest-1.1.zip>

> - GIT repository:

> <http://git.michelf.com/mdtest>

I've stolen this into Text::Markdown and Text::MultiMarkdown, but I
think that some chunks of it fail (even though a lot works).

I'll find some time to look back into it, and post to the list with
my conclusions, as I've probably got a whole chunk of test cases that
I want to add, and I'm all for a community maintained test suite of
Markdown (and it's various dialects) :)

Cheers
Tom