forking Markdown.pl?

david parsons orc at pell.portland.or.us
Fri Feb 29 11:04:31 EST 2008

In article <931A108A-0D2B-4B82-A5CA-81DE3C414494 at bobtfish.net>,
Tomas Doran <markdown-discuss at six.pairlist.net> wrote:

>On 29 Feb 2008, at 01:00, david parsons wrote:

>> In article <9F6C6C2C-F48E-4BA2-BB5B-4F790CDE65B9 at bobtfish.net>,

>> Tomas Doran <markdown-discuss at six.pairlist.net> wrote:

>>> I'm actively maintaining the CPAN modules Text::Markdown, and

>>> Text::MultiMarkdown, and longer term, I'd like these to become the

>>> canonical distribution.

>> Personally, I don't think that would be a very good idea. Not

>> because there's anything wrong with your implementation, but

>> because the current Markdown.pl sticks fairly close to the syntax

>> document while your modules extend it in a variety of ways.

>Text::Markdown *does not* extend the original Markdown syntax *in any

>way*.

Yes. you said "and Text::MultiMarkdown" which provoked
my comments. I'm sorry -- I misunderstood you.

>I'd very much like there to be a community effort to come to a (more

>exact) spec (and test cases) for the 'official' Markdown language,

>which everyone can then implement to, but this effort would *have* to

>consider that people do want to extend Markdown in various different

>ways...

Yes.

What I'd love, too, is to see is to have the spec nailed down and
blessed by John Gruber, at the very least so people don't have to
trawl through markdown.discuss and 30 or so individual
implementations to figure what the state of the art is. It's
somewhat less ego-ridden than replacing the reference spec.

-david "add snarky comment about ANSI markdown here" parsons