evolving the spec (was: forking Markdown.pl?)

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Fri Feb 29 12:09:00 EST 2008

On 29 Feb 2008, at 16:52, Thomas Nichols wrote:

> Cases in point:

> * Feynman

> * Dirac

> * Bohr

> without thinking about inserting an extra line before the list to

> ensure that it gets correctly processed, aligning asterisks with

> zero indent so they get correctly processed, yada yada. Part of the

> joy of markdown (that sounds a little over-caffeinated) is

> precisely the laxity that makes it, I gather, so hard to implement.

That is also how I do it. :)

When I mentioned in a previous mail on the thread that I have found
lists one of the hardest cases, I wasn't joking, as I consider this
to be a valid case (albeit very much a psychotic edge case), and I'd
expect it to do "the right thing":

* L1I1
1. L2I1
2. L2I2
* L1I2
* L1I3
* L3I1
* L3I2

> Please bear in mind I know nothing about the implementation

> complexity of this: if it is infeasible to have such a loose

> approach, I'll still write in Markdown instead of DocBook/HTML, and

> will simply learn the "new" syntax.

I, personally, feel that trading implementation complexity for
'correctness' and ease of use is a good trade off in Markdown!

Getting a parser that is loose enough to do "the right thing" in the
above edge case is much less trivial than writing a strict parser,
but *well worth it*.

Cheers
Tom