evolving the spec (was: forking Markdown.pl?)

Joseph Lorenzo Hall joehall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 12:14:19 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Thomas Nichols <nichols7 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Having a spec/ruleset/syntax definition seems an admirable goal; does

> this necessarily imply that, for example, you should not be able to

> begin a list item with zero to three spaces, at your discretion? This

> seems rather at odds with the overall theme of your mail, with which I

> heartily agree.

As a slightly-OT aside, there's another view on this "spaces before a
list item" issue that sees it as a bug.

When I write a list of references in a academic paper, I do so with
list items. I do a hanging indent where the rest of the reference is
indented by two or three spaces, like so:

* Aslam, J. A., Popa, R. A., & Rivest, R. L. (2007). On estimating the
size and confidence of a statistical audit, USENIX/ACCURATE
Electronic Voting Technology Workshop 2007. Retrieved February 24,
2008. from
<http://www.usenix.org/events/evt07/tech/full_papers/aslam/aslam.pdf>.

Markdown sees that " 2008." as a list item.

<ul>
<li>Aslam, J. A., Popa, R. A., &amp; Rivest, R. L. (2007). On estimating the
size and confidence of a statistical audit, USENIX/ACCURATE
Electronic Voting Technology Workshop 2007. Retrieved February 24,
<ol><li>from
</ul>

best, Joe

--