spaces and newlines before list markers (was: evolving the spec)

Yuri Takhteyev qaramazov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 18:58:43 EST 2008

> I can think of an obvious use-case against this: what if I type an

> ordered list up, and then decide to cut & paste to re-order it or add

> items to it? Now, in the optimal case I would want to go through and

> change the numbering of all the elements. In the meantime, though, I

> think it's great that I can rapidly reorder my list and markdown will

> *do what makes sense*.

Is it so much work, though, to then change the numbers of just the
first two items to "1." and "2."? Note that I am not suggesting that
all numbers must be consecutive - just the first two. In fact, I
would also throw in the idea of making the numbers themselves optional
for all subsequent elements. I.e. the following should be enough:

1. Item one
2. Item two
. Item three
. Item four