HTML5's audio/video and Markdown

Rad Geek technophilia at radgeek.com
Tue Mar 18 19:21:42 EDT 2008

Aslak Raanes wrote:

| Does anyone have any toughts on how one should be using <video> &

| <audio> with Markdown? Using the link or the img syntax?

Aslak,

As I think has been mentioned, this seems like it might be a better use
case for raw HTML (which Markdown was designed to allow for), rather
than some new syntax extension. I mean, really, which of the following
is easier to type, remember, and understand on re-reading?

Here's a video of the quick brown fox jumping over the lazy dog:

!@%$[video](foxydog.m4v)

Wow!

Or:

Here's a video of the quick brown fox jumping over the lazy dog:

<video src="foxydog.m4v" controls>video</video>

Wow!

Where Markdown has its own syntax, rather than HTML syntax, it is almost
all for cases where there is a natural, easy, and expressive way to type
something in plaintext, with the main inspiration being plaintext e-mail
style. But there is no natural, easy, and expressive way to represent
embedded video or audio in plaintext, because that's not something
anybody tries to represent in plaintext. You may as well use the HTML
syntax as anything else, it seems to me.

-C