Markdown Extra Spec: Parsing Section

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Mon May 12 18:14:32 EDT 2008

+++ Michel Fortin [May 11 08 22:26 ]:

> Le 2008-05-11 à 20:55, Jacob Rus a écrit :

>> You should write it in something closer to a BNF-like format. The

>> current version is about 10x more verbose than necessary, and it makes

>> reading the spec considerably more difficult.

> The reason I'm doing it like this is that I doubt everything will be

> expressible in a BNF format.

You can come pretty close with a PEG grammar:
http://github.com/jgm/peg-markdown/tree/master/markdown_parser.leg#L236

I have implemented the basic markdown syntax + the footnote syntax from
PHP markdown extra, and so far I've found only two things that can't be
cleanly expressed using a PEG:

1. Indented block contexts like lists and blockquotes. Here I use a
multi-pass approach. The first pass takes, say, a list item

1. my list item

- with
- nested list

and returns a listitem with "raw" contents

my list item

- with
- nested list

which are piped through the markdown parser again.

2. Inline code. PEG can't express "a row of backticks, followed
by a string of characters not containing an equally long row of
backticks, followed by an equally long row of backticks."
It can express, for particular values of N, "a row of N backticks,
followed by a string of characters not containing a row of N
backticks, followed by a row of N backticks." So if you have
a fixed limit on the number of backticks that can start a stretch
of inline code, you're okay. peg-markdown sets this limit at 5,
which should be enough for most purposes. But one could set it
higher without much of a performance penalty.

The PEG representation is concise, precise, and readable.
But the big advantage is that it can be converted automatically into a
fast parser. This means that you can be sure that your markdown program
really does implement the formal specification. An informal English
specification won't give you that.

John