list corner case

LUK ShunTim shuntim.luk at polyu.edu.hk
Thu Sep 11 00:42:27 EDT 2008

Michel Fortin wrote:

> Le 2008-09-09 à 22:05, Michel Fortin a écrit :

>> That said, about the situation where there is no space between the two

>> lists, I'm not sure why it should be treated differently than with

>> Dhruba's report. If you take the following:

>> * one

>> * two

>> * three

>> * four

>> you only get one list. With my fix, this doesn't change; the only

>> change is that it now stops the list when it can't find another list

>> marker *matching the current list type*, plain and simple.

> Oops, I got this all wrong. PHP Markdown in fact creates a sublist for

> three and four with this input:

> * one

> * two

> 1. three

> 2. four

FWIW, pandoc did the same thing but John Gruber's markdown(.pl), version
1.0.1 in debian, renders it as a *single unordered* list.

> Sounds like a bug to me. This should be the same as:

> * one

> * two

> 1. three

> 2. four

> which means: an unordered list followed by an unordered one. I need to

> add a test for that to MDTest...

Pandoc did exactly that but markdown(.pl) still renders it as a single
unordered list but with double spacing between list items. This is the html
<ul>
<li>one</li>
<li>four</li>
</ul>