tables with Unicode box drawing characters?

Suraj Kurapati sunaku at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 18:01:59 EDT 2009

Thanks for considering my idea and replying accordingly, everyone. I
agree that having Markdown users meticulously craft tables with
Unicode box drawing characters[2] is impractical.

However, I am still very fond of David Wheeler's proposal[1] for
Markdown tables. Are there any existing implementations of [1] at
present? If not, I will try to implement it as a preprocessor (as
Waylan Limberg suggested) so that it can be used with any Markdown
implementation:

cat document.md | dw_md_tables | markdown > document.html

Thanks for your consideration.

[1]: http://justatheory.com/computers/markup/markdown-table-rfc.html
[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_drawing_characters