Markdown development

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Sat Mar 20 16:02:09 EDT 2010

* Lou Quillio <public at quillio.com> [2010-03-20 00:55]:

> Markdown's dead? Absurd.

Obviously. That’s why no one said that.

Markdown *development* is dead.

(Straw men are easy to clobber.)

> Markdown's huge, and in the form of PHP Markdown Extra is

> basically done. Done != dead, done == problem solved.

Fact: the latest Gruber release is a beta.

Fact: the latest official Gruber release is missing features
that Gruber himself uses.

You can argue about whether this means “done” – I see “scratches
my itch so I lost interest” –, but you cannot argue the facts.

Personally I think Markdown is still missing a lot of fit and
polish that could make it much (subtly) nicer still. (Eg. I’m
tired of using `<!-- -->` lines as a crutch to force consecutive,
separate blockquotes and lists to be recognised as such.)

What it’s not missing is big constructs. (I believe tables and
definition lists can only be done badly, and so should not be
done at all.)

Regards,