Markdown development

Seumas Mac Uilleachan seumas at idirect.ca
Wed Mar 24 20:52:02 EDT 2010

On 24/03/10 02:20 PM, Sherwood Botsford wrote:

> Given the paucity of ETS editors, viewers, enabled browsers however,

> I'm afraid that I will insist on keeping my horse, at least until

> there is more than two roads in town. My horse will eat hay. And who

> knows where the next gas station is.

> The bowerbird is half right. Elastic tab stops are worthy of

> implementing. But to keep the transition cost minimal the older way

> has to be supported also.

> I can see merit in having MD understand elastic tab stops as part of

> it's goal toward minimalist markup.

> It certainly would make simple tables easy to do.

> Respectfully,

> Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests

> Sherwood Botsford

> Sherwood's Forests -- http://Sherwoods-Forests.com

> 780-848-2548

> 50042 Range Rd 31

> Warburg, Alberta T0C 2T0

If I understand the concept correctly, Markdown wouldn't really have to
know anything about ets. Their implementation would be up to the
browser-editor-ide-etc. All MD would have to worry about is tabs. If
there's a tab in the middle of three lines of text, adjust the text
after each tab to line up. If there's a tab in front of three lines of
text line up the three lines. If there's two tabs, indent it more. The
actual lining up is not MD's problem. Currently MD has the tab at the
beginning of the line stuff. A tab in the middle of a line shouldn't
affect MD at all, should it?

The actual implementation would depend on whether the font was
monospaced or proportional, again something MD doesn't care about.