RFC: Lazy syntax for paragraphs, blockquotes and lists

Thomas Humiston tom at jumpingrock.net
Fri Sep 3 17:50:28 EDT 2010

On Sep 3, 2010, at 1:55 PM, david parsons wrote:

> 78 character line length is an artifact of ttys traditionally being

> 80 columns wide, as well as an artifact of the annoying habit of

> some ttys to force a newline if you write a character into the last

> cell on the screen.

According to Ken Spreitzer at Tiger Technologies, word wrap is not
just an artifact:

> Actually, the official Internet email specifications ("RFC"s) still

> require outgoing messages to be broken. Please see this page for an

> interesting discussion of this:

> http://mailformat.dan.info/body/linelength.html

The above URL provides links to the relevant RFCs. Below is a larger
portion of my conversation with Ken, which began with a question about
a webmail program called Mailman:

Thomas:

> Regarding word wrap in Mailman -- I like email messages without a

> hard wrap (at, say 70 characters per line). This limit is no longer

> necessary, is it? I'm trying out Mailman and I like everything about

> it except this. (Plain text -- yeehah!)

Ken:

> Mailman doesn't change the word wrap on any message it distributes.

> Your mail program (Apple Mail) is sending out messages with lines

> wrapped at 70 characters. This is actually the way that email is

> supposed to be done, and the receiving mail program should then re-

> flow the text so that it doesn't look like it was word-wrapped. What

> mail program was being used to view the received mailing list message?

Thomas:

> I'm afraid that is outdated info. I have verified that Apple Mail is

> not inserting wraps.

> That email is _supposed_ to contain wraps is, AFAIK, an old

> convention that evolved because of server and/or software

> limitations, limitations that no longer exist. Remember when you

> could only attach one file per message? Similar case.

Ken:

> Actually, the official Internet email specifications ("RFC"s) still

> require outgoing messages to be broken. Please see this page for an

> interesting discussion of this:

> http://mailformat.dan.info/body/linelength.html

> What's happening in this case is that Apple Mail is doing something

> a little smarter than the average mail program. It's fully

> compliant, but not every other mail program out there supports it.

> Basically, Apple Mail adds a "format-flowed" to the Content-Type

> mail header. This acts as a hint that the receiving mail program can

> remove the line breaks and re-flow each block of lines into a word-

> wrapped paragraph. This is a standard, but not every mail program

> supports it when displaying messages. Apple Mail does, of course,

> which is why it probably looks like the paragraph isn't broken up

> when you view a message in Apple Mail.

> You can easily see this in practice. Send yourself a test message

> using Apple Mail. Then view the received message's raw source (View

> Message Raw Source). You'll see that the received message has been

> split into multiple lines.

> So this is all standards-compliant. The other thing to mention is

> that the version of Mailman we're using does not pass that

> "format=flowed" header through. A later version of Mailman does pass

> it through, which would definitely help with your problem, but we

> don't have any specific plan for when we will be installing the

> newer version.

I hope the above is helpful regarding this Markdown-dev question.

- Thomas