RFC: Lazy syntax for paragraphs, blockquotes and lists

david parsons orc at pell.portland.or.us
Fri Sep 3 18:19:37 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 05:50:28PM -0400, Thomas Humiston wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2010, at 1:55 PM, david parsons wrote:

> > 78 character line length is an artifact of ttys traditionally being

> > 80 columns wide, as well as an artifact of the annoying habit of

> > some ttys to force a newline if you write a character into the last

> > cell on the screen.

> According to Ken Spreitzer at Tiger Technologies, word wrap is not

> just an artifact:

> > Actually, the official Internet email specifications ("RFC"s) still

> > require outgoing messages to be broken. Please see this page for an

> > interesting discussion of this:

821 said 1000 characters (including the cr/lf) maximum. In
reality, many MTAs follow the implementation suggestions in
821 and handle longer lines w/o complaint.

That's *considerably* longer than 80 characters.

(The Hazeltine terminal is the one I'm specificially thinking
about with line-wrap. Though that wasn't the only odd feature
of those terminals, as anyone who was born after, oh, 1980 has
the good fortune not to know about.)

-david parsons