[ANN] PEG Markdown Highlight

Mathias mathias at parboiled.org
Wed Jun 29 04:03:54 EDT 2011

Related to this:

For some time now there is a [markdown plugin][1] for the IntelliJ IDEA IDE and all derived ones (RubyMine, PhpStorm, etc). that does exactly what Ali is describing: syntax-highlighting based on the parser of an actual markdown processor, which in this case is [pegdown][2], that started off as a java port of John MacFarlane's peg-markdown.

The way this works:
pegdown does its markdown-to-HTML in two phases:
1. parsing of the markdown source into an Abstract Syntax Tree
2. serialization of the AST to HTML

Since the AST generated in phase 1 retains all positional information about the underlying markdown source it's very easy to syntax-highlight the editor buffer based solely on this AST (which is exactly what the plugin is doing).

So if anyone is looking for a markdown syntax-highlighting solution for the JVM pegdown is probably something to look at.
For C-based applications the peg-markdown-highlight by Ali is certainly the better choice...

Cheers,
Mathias

[1]: https://github.com/nicoulaj/idea-markdown
[2]: http://www.pegdown.org