What does Markdown do with HTML comments? Recommendation on Markdown file extension?

bucephalus org bucephalus.org at gmail.com
Wed May 4 21:03:05 EDT 2011

Hi there!

(1.)

It may sound awkward, but I would like to use comments in Markdown texts.
According to the rule that proper HTML works as HTML, I should be able to
use

<!-- blablabla -->

But the converters I use do strange things with comments. Is there an
official rule about that?

(2.)

I wonder if there is a recommended standard file extension for Markdown
source files.
For my own files I always use `.markdown`.
But other important sources seem to prefer `.text`.

Do you have an opinion on that, or is there even a standard?