What does Markdown do with HTML comments? Recommendation on Markdown file extension?

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Wed May 4 21:23:35 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM, bucephalus org <bucephalus.org at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there!

> (1.)

> It may sound awkward, but I would like to use comments in Markdown texts.

> According to the rule that proper HTML works as HTML, I should be able to

> use

>     <!--  blablabla -->

> But the converters I use do strange things with comments. Is there an

> official rule about that?

As you can see here [1], most implementations pass comments through.

[1]: http://babelmark.bobtfish.net/?markdown=<%21--++blablabla+-->

> (2.)

> I wonder if there is a recommended standard file extension for Markdown

> source files.

> For my own files I always use `.markdown`.

> But other important sources seem to prefer `.text`.

> Do you have an opinion on that, or is there even a standard?

This has been a hotly debated topic in the past and IIRC J. Gruber
(the creator of Markdown) has indicated that he will not support a
standard and he personally uses '.text'. However, most projects I'm
aware of use '.md' or '.markdown'. Personally, I prefer '.txt' or
'.text' but notice what happened when I requested that github work
with that [2].

[2]: https://github.com/mojombo/jekyll/issues/230

--
----