What does Markdown do with HTML comments? Recommendation on Markdown file extension?

bucephalus org bucephalus.org at gmail.com
Wed May 4 21:45:24 EDT 2011

Hey Waylan,

this is very helpful. Thank you!

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Waylan Limberg <waylan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM, bucephalus org <bucephalus.org at gmail.com>

> wrote:

> > Hi there!

> > (1.)

> > It may sound awkward, but I would like to use comments in Markdown texts.

> > According to the rule that proper HTML works as HTML, I should be able to

> > use

> > <!-- blablabla -->

> > But the converters I use do strange things with comments. Is there an

> > official rule about that?

> As you can see here [1], most implementations pass comments through.

> [1]: http://babelmark.bobtfish.net/?markdown=<%21--++blablabla+-->

> Yes, you are right. It turns out, that I made a type error in my own tests.

I didn't know this babelmark.bobtfish.net, and it is a great tool (even
though some of the converters are quite outdated).

> > (2.)

> > I wonder if there is a recommended standard file extension for Markdown

> > source files.

> > For my own files I always use `.markdown`.

> > But other important sources seem to prefer `.text`.

> > Do you have an opinion on that, or is there even a standard?

> This has been a hotly debated topic in the past and IIRC J. Gruber

> (the creator of Markdown) has indicated that he will not support a

> standard and he personally uses '.text'. However, most projects I'm

> aware of use '.md' or '.markdown'. Personally, I prefer '.txt' or

> '.text' but notice what happened when I requested that github work

> with that [2].

> [2]: https://github.com/mojombo/jekyll/issues/230

> O.k. This is interesting. I need to think about all that, but I suppose, I

am not convinced in the end. I think, there should be some special standard
other than `txt` or `text`.
But of course, have a/no standard is more important than having my standard
as standard, so I can live with that.

Thank you, again, for your kind response.

Cheers, Tom