Proposed table specification (long!)

David Parsons orc at pell.portland.or.us
Sun May 15 03:03:34 EDT 2011

On May 14, 2011, at 10:43 PM, Simon Bull wrote:

> However, what if you want to include a markdown document, or even

> just a fragment of markdown, in an email? It might be forwarded to

> many readers without ever being published as HTML. What if you want

> to write markdown for the purpose of a discussion group like this

> one? It might be read by hundreds of readers without ever being

> published as HTML.

> Additionally, if you would like to see markdown as a supported input

> format for tools such as wikis, forums, blogs, issue management

> systems, and so on (in fact, any tool where the source document

> itself can be retrieved, reviewed, and updated/edited inline) then

> your source document will possibly be read and reread by many users

> over the life time of the document.

> Perhaps these scenarios are worth considering too?

I believe you are grasping at straws here. Now, there's
certainly nothing horribly wrong with your proposed implementation,
but I do wish to restate that you would be much better off writing
some code that implements your
proposal. It doesn't even have to do a full markdownification of the
output; a skeleton that takes as input a
document and translates your table blocks into html would be
sufficient (and there are some markdown implementations
that support a "please markdownify me!" flag for html block elements;
if you add those flags to your generated
html, you will have a program that can be pipelined like:

simontable < document.text | markdown > document.html

Don't convince us with words. Convince us with code.

-david parsons