Spaced text (from Digest)

Jason Davies j.p.davies at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Aug 18 08:36:06 EDT 2012

On the suggestion for double-spaces, I share the general 'oh
no'. I see an explosion of people with iPads etc trying out
Markdown in education because formatting sucks on iPads. They
struggle with needing new lines (see recent post for an
example). In short, they struggle with white-space (invisible) mark-up.

Added to that, frequently cut and paste leaves double spaces (eg
in BBEdit which abandoned smart copy paste on this years ago in
despair). Then perhaps most crucially, what about trying to type
a double-space on an iPad? You will get a full-stop...!

(just taking a chance to say thank you to JG and FP for Markdown
and Multimarkdown. Years ago in OS 9 I had Nisus converting
formatted to my home made mark-up through macros for editing on
Palms, then when Nisus abandoned its macros, in LaTeX. But
typing LaTeX on an ipad is a nightmare so now I can once again
do what I did 15 years ago, which is type/edit books and
articles on a mobile device...basically, if I do anything at
all, it must pass through BBEdit at some point...;))