easiest markdown to PDF conversion

Sherwood Botsford sgbotsford at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 10:08:46 EST 2012

More info on page breaks:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/css/article.php/3470341/CSS-and-Printing.htm

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/media.html

The w3.org site is the canonical source for web standards. Fair tutorials
on many things too.

At first blush it appears to me that a properly written CSS style sheet
would handle simple headers/footers (including pagination) and TOC.

This changes the flow for MMD to PDF. At present, my understanding is the
it goes MMD ->XLT -> Latex -> PDF.

This would go MMD ->XLT -> HTML -> PDF.

It's not clear to me how the last step could be done from the command line
with most browsers.

Note that support for paged media varies by browser engine. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_%28Cascading_Style_Sheets%29

Critically you don't have to support it universally -- if you want
printouts of your web pages, all you need is ONE with reasonable support.

>From that you can easily crank out PDFs. I would suggest for your trials

to test current versions of Opera (presto engine) Chrome (Webkit) Firefox
(Gecko) and internet explorer (Tasman)

Webkit is used by a LOT of browsers. I don;t know how uniform it between
browsers nor how fast development is proceeding.

I would strong suggest making a small sample doc and doing a bunch of
tests. If you are on a Mac, using "Print Preview" will save much paper.

Respectfully,

Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests

Sherwood Botsford
Sherwood's Forests -- http://Sherwoods-Forests.com