Definition list as image caption

Jakob JakoV at gmx.at
Fri Jun 22 16:13:22 EDT 2012

> It's too subtle. What happens if you have this:

> ![icon](url) My Super App to Download

> : this is the first version of the app.

> ![icon](url) My Super App to Download

> : this is the first version of the app.

> Is this two figures, or is it a definition list? If it's a definition

> list, is the text after the image the only thing preventing it from becoming

> figures? Or is it because you've put two one after the other that it becomes

> a definition list. Or maybe we could just make it a signel "figure list"

> with two figures.

That's why I changed my mind, that it would be better to use a **new** syntax with the exclamation mark instead of the colon, then there would be no ambiguity.

> HTML5 figures let you put much more than just an image inside a figure

> (I'm actually the one who pushed for this in the WHATWG mailing list some time

> ago). Longer code snippets in books are often structured like a figure

> with a caption for instance, and sometime figures are made of multiple images

> illustrating the various steps of a process for instance. Perhaps Markdown

> shouldn't try to be that versatile, but perhaps it should too.

I think the only problem would be multi-paragraph stuff. Maybe the syntax could then be like the fenced code blocks, but with exclamation marks:

!
here goes all the stuff

and even more
! here goes the caption

or like this

!!!
here goes all the stuff

and even more
!!! here goes the caption

Another option would be to use the `figure` element itself and define the caption inside it or after it, like this

<figure>
here goes all the stuff

and even more

! here goes the caption
</figure>
! or maybe here

> Beside, before we add captions to images, perhaps we could add captions to

> tables. I know MultiMarkdown already has that, but not PHP Markdown Extra.

> Once we have that we could find a similar way to add caption to various

> other things which would wrap the said thing in a figure element. In short,

> it should be pretty much the same syntax for both.

I totally agree! But why not use the same syntax?:

! caption of the table

| user | password |

| frank | 123456 |

| mike | mypass |