Styling Markdown approaches

Sherwood Botsford sgbotsford at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 10:17:08 EDT 2013

I love standards. There are so many to choose from.

Yes the core of MD is similar. But there are enough edge cases that you
cannot count on being able to take MD from one location and using it at
another. I would prefer to be able to control this behaviour either with a
configuration file, or inline material, rather than having to edit the
markup for each file itself. Doing it inline, means that in theory for
each tweak there is a configuation value that follows the 'standard' (such
as it isn't) and a value for the tweak.

In the archives of this list there are records of many items discussing
where Gruber's spec was ambiguous. And the canonical code doesn't make
html that validates, as loose tags are surrounded by <P> tags.

Fork my own? I've done that. I have the older CPAN version of MMD and have
hacked the default value of the markdown flag so that it is 1 all the
time. It's a crummy hack. I have to redo it every time I update my CPAN
library for a new version of Perl.

I write web pages. I went to MD because it minimized the amount of
repetitive markup I was doing.

Will it bite me? Quite possibly. But my MD files are not public access.

It's actually worse than that, because for me MMD is actually a module in
Template Toolkit. So my information is MD markup wrapped in a preface and
epilog of template toolkit. Included file in the TT portion create my
static menu. Portable? No. But the result is a static page, without
javascript (except for google analytics) that loads blindingly fast, and
allows me to use a shared server without worrying about CPU contention.

But it would be a 3 hour hack to write a script to strip the TT wrapper
off, another hack to explicityly put in the markdown=1 flags. But
meanwhile I have cleaner looking markup.

However, I won't try to convert anyone. Several people have spoken
eloquently that this is a Bad Thing (tm) and no one has agreed. I must
abide by the Will of the People, and withdraw to the Cave of the
Curmudgeons.

Respectfully,

Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests

Sherwood Botsford